The Warning Signs of Mould
For all the good that mould has done over the course of human history, moulds in your home are never welcome. Here are some signs that mould may be present in your home, office or warehouse space:
• Strange odours. We all know the musty, earthy smell of mould. If this odour exists in your home, it could signal the presence of mould, even if there is none visible. Mould can be stealthy and might grow behind a wall, under a floor or in a ceiling.
• Health symptoms. If your allergies are particularly nasty at home, or you experience other symptoms like sinus congestion, headaches, trouble concentrating and dizziness, these could all be signs you have a mould problem. The elderly, pregnant women, the young, and those with respiratory issues or weakened immune systems are particularly susceptible.
• Visible mould growth. This is an obvious one...mostly. Some mould may look like dirt or soot and you could miss it. Clean up all moulds immediately, even the tiniest amounts, to prevent their spread and further toxin release. Don't forget to check less visible places like the backs of curtains and carpets under furniture.
• Present or past water problems. If wall surfaces feel damp, you have water stains on walls or ceilings, paint is bubbling, peeling or cracking, or walls or ceilings are bowed or warped, it could very well mean that water has gotten into them at some point. Any place water accumulates is a prime breeding ground for mould. Past floods and water damage may also be an issue. You may think you cleaned everything up, but dampness can linger and lead to mould growth.
• Pipe leaks. Leaky pipes will often do their damage in the walls—another possible source of hidden mould.
• Condensation. If you notice condensation building up on your windows and pipes it may mean the air inside your home is too moist and/or not circulating well. Make sure dryers, bathroom fans and kitchen fans vent outside and ducts are tight. Ideally, humidity in your house should be about 50% in summer and 30% when it gets colder. Use a dehumidifier as needed.
If any of the above conditions occur in your home, take immediate action. But just cleaning up the mould may not be enough—you need to fix the underlying cause to prevent a recurrence. Cascade Environmental Consulting can help with mould remediation in Edmonton.
For mould testing in Edmonton, contact Cascade Environmental Consulting Ltd. We've been helping businesses and residents of Edmonton by coordinating their mould remediation for over 20 years. At Cascade, we're experts in mould inspection in Edmonton. Our services include fungal and moisture investigation; air quality, spore trap and wall-cavity sampling; training and education; and remediation design and project management. For mould inspection in Edmonton, give Cascade Environmental Consulting a call at 780-488-2325.